Open spaces – recreational grounds
East Malling Playing Field, New Road, East Malling
East Malling Playing Field was transferred to the Parish Council in January 1950 by the Wigan Family (who used to live at Clare House) for the sum of £1,000.
It was managed by a voluntary committee until 1991 when the Parish Council was made sole custodian Trustee by a Scheme made by the Charity Commission.
The idea of a playing field had first been discussed at a Public Meeting in 1944 followed by many meetings, fund raising and negotiations before the purchase contract was signed in 1949.
In that year a Tennis Club was formed, and the cricket club laid a concrete practice pitch.
In 1950 the former ragstone wall along New Road was demolished as being too costly to repair and the ragstone sold for £50. The Memorial Gates were also erected as an entrance to New Road to be later re-located when East Malling Village Hall was built.
A playground with equipment was established close to “The Institute” hall.
By 1953 the Malling RDC had built the Clare Park housing estate and a pedestrian entrance allowed “so children need not go into the dangerous New Road”.
The Village Hall was built in the north-east corner of the field in the late 1960’s and is now a separate charity also managed by the Parish Council.
In more recent years the play area was re-located to its present site close to the village hall and a Ball Park provided.
Larkfield Sports field, New Hythe Lane, Larkfield
Larkfield Recreation Ground, New Hythe Lane, Larkfield
Gighill Farm Green, Lunsford Lane, Larkfield
Marlowe Road Green, Larkfield.
Willow Road Green, Larkfield
Larkfield Farm Green, Goldfinch Close.
East Malling Village Green.
Rocks Close Green, East Malling
Leybourne Lakes, 260 acres of country park run by Tonbridge & Malling Council
for walking, boating and diving.